On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 6:48 PM, janI <j...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 10 October 2013 21:21, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Indeed very impressive. Do we have any ideas how the other openoffice
>>> versions are doing in terms of download ? if they publish their
>>> numbers we could think about a blog post telling about the total
>>> number, that must be impressive.
>>>

>> Some of them did publish download numbers, but stopped doing so after
>> AOO 3.4.0 was released and we started publishing our numbers.
>>
>> But it is hard to come up with apples-to-apples comparisons.  For
>> example, Linux users get LO with their distro.  They don't download.
>> LO has been available for 3 years, but AOO for only 18 months.  We're
>> counting only full installs, LO is counting -- well, we really don't
>> know.   The products have different update cycles, so it is hard to
>> convert downloads into users. (If you have many small releases then
>> each user will generate several downloads).  Differences like this
>> make it hard to compare the two.
>>
>> But one approach is to look at Windows downloads from 3rd party
>> websites, like download.com.  This avoids all of the above problems.
>> If you look there you see that in the last week AOO has been
>> downloaded 21,850 times, and LibreOffice 2,664 times.
>>
>> But from the perspective of ODF editors, Microsoft has pretty good ODF
>> support now as well, so the true number of ODF editor installs is
>> probably near 1 billion now.
>
> Please bear in mind I was not trying to battle LO and AOO who has the
> most downloads. I was simply asking if we can come up with a somewhat
> reliable figure how many have downloaded a free "office" version
> against how many have paid for the version.

My data says that in the U.S., 16.1% of surveyed internet users use
OpenOffice either "sometimes" or "regularly".  For the same question
5.7% use LibreOffice.  So roughly speaking open source office suites
have 20% market share.  This is probably centered in
home/student/personal use.  I'd expect that usage is lower than that
in businesses.

> I am still thinking about the issue about saving money, which I think
> is high on many goverment/departmental lists right now. Something we
> can use to make a slight push in direction of free software
> independent of branding.

We already do that on pages like this:

http://www.openoffice.org/why/why_gov.html

But the general issue is that a government that is not aware of
OpenOffice will not find *anything* that we have on our website.  You
need to get material to where they are reading.

Regards,

-Rob