Hi Raymond,

Steele, Raymond wrote:
> Are you recommending that we use boost version 1_49 versus the one delivered
> with OpenOffice?

Please see my other mail ("Using system boost 1.54") from today. It is
desirable that AOO should build with newer system boost versions too,
but it requires probably more than just a recompile to make everything
work. Volunteers are invited to work on this interesting topic.

> If so, then we will reconfigure using the --with-system-boost flag. If we use
> 1_49, does it require any special configure / build steps?

I'm not sure whether anyone actually built AOO with boost 1.49, 1.50,
1.51, 1.52, 1.53 or the 1.54 versions, so you're in unexplored territory.

Maybe 1.49 is close enough to 1.48 so using it could work out of the box
with AOO. But as Kay noticed 1.54 is already so different that more work
is needed for sure.

> Today, we replaced the 1_48 version of emplace_args.hpp with the 1_49
> version, then implemented the patch [2] and the issues below went away,

Thanks for checking: It proves that we're on the right track!

> but the compile complains about an undefined  boost type on line 220 :
>
> BOOST_UNORDERED_CONSTRUCT_FROM_TUPLE(10, boost)
>
> We are thinking that we need to pull in another file from 1_49, but that may
> snowball into needing more files, but we are not sure.

That snowball/domino effect is a real problem. And we always prefer to
work with off-the-shelf releases of external libraries if possible.

In your case I'd try to
- replace the missing boost type, but as [1] shows they are using some
magic there especially for Solaris compilers
- rebuild with system-boost 1.49
- rebuild with system-boost 1.50

[1] http://lists.boost.org/boost-commit/2012/04/40663.php

If these alternatives don't work then we really need a volunteer who
solves the build problems with the latest 1.55 version so that AOO's
internal version can be upgraded to that.

Herbert