On 08.01.2014 07:50, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
On 1/8/14 3:09 PM, jan i wrote:
On 8 January 2014 03:46, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 7:19 PM, Armin Le Grand <armin.le.gr...@me.com>
wrote:
Hi List,

I have added a new branch to the branches part of the repository. I
thought
it would be a good idea to have a place in the wiki to document what
the
branches are, what they intend to do and to have a central place to
document
what's going on there. For the new branch, I thought about documenting
the
state and ongoing work there, instead of adding a file and checking it
in to
svn, that would be in the way when later reintegrating the finished
stuff.

  A VERY good idea...maybe a main heading -- Development Planning (or a name
of your choosing) -- under Project Planning. Thanks for bringing this
up...I was just wondering about some of the branches the other day.

isnt that what we already have at
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Source_Code

here we have branches/tags etc documented.

why should we make a new place ?
no need of course, just a problem to find the hidden secrets in our
nirvana ;-)

Juergen

Yes, thats why I am asking. I could not really find it, so a place in the confluence wiki would be better. I think this would fit perfectly somewhere in the development planning area so that everyone interested could find what is worked on and evtl. gets even motivated to step in. Isnt that the place people look at when they try to find out what is going on? I would be ready to document my existing branches in brief and extensively for new ones. An initial page per branch and maybe a short description would be enough as a minimum (maybe autogenerated when someone creates a branch in trunk, adding creation date and creator...just dreaming).

In that form it may also give a preview of what may be coming to the next versions (without forcing it, it should be train model based). E.g. with accessibility when it would have been documented there it would be more clear where it comes from, evtl. how far it is progressed and if it will be in one of the next versions (e.g. include a single 'progress' percent number).

Kay, I guess you are the one who could prepare a place for these (if we agree to do so)...?

rgds
jan I.

Do we already have such pages/places (I looked for my aw080 branch, but
noting in the new confluence wiki) and if not, should we create a place
and
add at least a descriptive page (which may contain just a short
description)
for each branch?

If we want to do so, where could I add a first page for my new branch
and
start to document it? Any suggestions?

I am not aware of any place on the wiki that does this currently.  We
do have the README file in Subversion here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/README

That gives a one line description of the branches.

It looks like a some are missing as this hasn't been updated in a while.

If you decide to put something on the wiki, maybe it would be a good
idea to add a link to it in the README?

-Rob

Sincerely,
     Armin
--
ALG

MzK

"Cats do not have to be shown how to have a good time,
  for they are unfailing ingenious in that respect."
                                        -- James Mason