On 09.01.2014 16:47, Steele, Raymond wrote:
We found a work around for this problem, but believe it may be implemented
incorrectly.

We added the following to the top of fmtatr2.cxx:

#ifndef _RWSTD_NO_MEMBER_TEMPLATES
#define _RWSTD_NO_MEMBER_TEMPLATES 1
#endif

A good find! And indeed [1] also ran into such a problem and defining that to disable templatized version of std::vector<T>::assign() was a workaround needed by the SunStudio compiler.

http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/ticket/224

The compile of sw then began compiling correctly.  Any thoughts?

I'd say that all such defines that make boost less aggressive in using advanced template magic are fine, so don't worry about it. But I'd use such an option consistently then, not only in one file. I suggest to add a
    -D_RWSTD_NO_MEMBER_TEMPLATES=1
into the solaris makefiles in solenv.

Herbert