Forwarding the answer (below) to Rose who is not subscribed. Andrea

Alexandro Colorado wrote:
You need to set up OpenOffice as a default application for ODS, XLS, XLSX.
OpenOffice does this for you by default when you install it on your
computer under this dialog:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Getting_Started/File_associations

If you miss that chanced and AOO is already on your box, making the
association manually should be done from the windows side. Here is a
process on how Windows 8 do file association:
http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-tip-change-file-associations-144102