On 28 February 2014 16:31, Raphael Bircher <rbirc...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Don
>
> Am 28.02.2014 um 15:46 schrieb Donald Whytock:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Raphael Bircher <rbirc...@apache.org
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Hi at all
> >>
> >> We allready talked about crowdfunding and generaly agree, that this will
> >> be a good idea. I will start at the next time a p'roject at a
> crowdfunding
> >> platform to rise money for a LTS Version for 4.0.2. So we can still
> support
> >> Mac OS X 10.6 downward. I plane to back port security fixes and really
> >> important bug fixes. The costs will be about $2000. This just for
> >> information.
> >>
> >> The big question is, how we handle such projects? My proposal:
> >>
> >> - Create a site with open / in programming / finished crowd funding
> >> projects.
> >> - Make a blog about it if the organizer whish that.
> >> Other Ideas?
> >>

> > These crowdfunding activities would not be official acts of AOO or
> Apache,
> > right?  Since (my understanding is) Apache doesn't support targeted
> > donations or paid development?
>
> exactly
>

> > If they're outside/independent acts, wouldn't they be, for all practical
> > purposes, a subclass of third-party support vendors?
>
> You can see it like this, yes. But mainly for the start, it's important
> too have some help. It is a taff job anyway, to get money for AOO
> development. But this is also important for the ecosystem. And caring about
> the ecosystem is a very important job at Apache.

your reply was in parallel with my reply. Any person/committer can help
with these matters (I f.x. would like to help), but ASF as such cannot be
involved.

meaning, such a site:
- cannot be hosted on ASF hardware,
- have a domain name that ends in apache.org

since that would indicate an official endorsement by ASF.

rgds
jan I.