We're on a good way to a healthy AOO 4.1 release so we should avoid the pitfalls that prevented a timely AOO 4.1 Beta release.

Let's examine this negative example a bit further, so we can all learn from it: A commit [1] stopped the Beta and forced the only respin that was needed despite the massive changes+improvements that went into the code base.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/r1547732

The commit broke the installation of language packs and this breakage wasn't discussed before. The responsible developer sneaked that train-wreck in with a mega-patch under a non-suspicious comment. I don't remember him discussing the breakage of language packs before and that the creation of patches could negatively influences the usability of the language packs wasn't discussed either.

Of course one could say "It happens", but since that developer gets VERY annoying if "It happens" to anyone else the same casual attitude would be inappropriate.

What's worse is that the commit comment [2] for unbreaking the language packs was "Wrong initialization of ." which is completely unusable. It didn't even mention language packs. That they were broken and now they are fixed. And what's that '.' Is this some magic hyper-linked dot? We should better use commit messages that can stand on their own.

[2] http://svn.apache.org/r1573613

So in short: Be careful, be professional, don't do unto others what you wouldn't want them do unto you, and yes "It happens" and we have to deal with it. Positively if possible that is.

Herbert