Yes a correct shutdown of OpenOffice could 'expire' that lock file
that is the one that triggers the message you were talking about. All
your settings are based on the Library folder on Lion.

This is a tutorial about the library folder:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1161156/view_library_folder_in_lion.html