On 9 August 2014 22:36, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 02/08/2014 Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>
>> Hello, the ECSL (Central American Free Software Summit) send me an
>> invitation to give a keynote at their event.
>>

> Do you have any additional information about the event? Search engines led
> me to http://ecsl2013.softwarelibre.ca/ so I tried manually changing it
> to 2014 but it's clearly not a final website, like
> http://ecsl2014.softwarelibre.ca/noticias/ contains only Lorem Ipsum and
> broken blocks.
>
> It would also be very important to see:
> 1) How the event would benefit the Apache Software Foundation
> 2) How the event would benefit Apache OpenOffice
>

>  The organizers asked me if there is a way Apache can cover partially
>> the travel or boarding expenses.
>> We have talked about this before on the list, but it seems no straight
>> process is defined at the moment so I am also unsure about what
>> support is expected from the foundation. Or what is needed at the
>> moment.
>>

> We have a fund for OpenOffice events, normally reserved for events where
> OpenOffice has a high visibility (such as: a day-long devroom at FOSDEM,
> even though none of us ever received reimbursement for it) or where a
> presence of OpenOffice can be useful (in this case, we normally finance
> merchandising: this happened for OSCON recently... well, Kay did not ask
> for reimbursement yet, but this would be reimbursed!).

It would be nice if at least the PMC group got knowledge about the size of
this fund. I got asked the other day by the EVP and found it a bit
embarrassing that I did not have a clue.

> There is also the Apache-wide TAC http://www.apache.org/travel/ but
> honestly I cannot recommend it in this case, it is a complex application
> procedure and only for a few selected events, usually official Apache
> events.

With my TAC-PMC hat on, I can confirm that we do not have budget for
non-essential apache events. The application procedure is only complex if
you make it so, we ask you to fill in a form of 15 questions (like what do
you want funding for) see tac-apply.apache.org, this is done for all events
we fund.

rgds
jan I.