My computer has been closed for about a week while I moved. Now I am trying
to access my OpenOffice documents and they will not open. A blue circle
spins for a moment and then disappears. The system is Windows 8. I tried to
"repair" and/or modify the program, but it tells me to close the program
first, but I can't open it!!!

Then it says a fatal error has occurred and "installation" has failed. When
I try to uninstall the program I get the same run-around. What has
happened? It seems my attempts to open documents has triggered some "apps".
What might this be?

I'd appreciate some help.