Am 29.10.2014 um 03:36 schrieb F C. Costero:
> Forwarding in case Darren isn't subscribed. And I see now that my reference
> below to 30 years should have been somewhat less, but still many years.
> That's what I get for reading only the title of a message.
> Francis

Hi,

It's 35 years since the first release of Visicalc which followed the
same calculation rules as todays spreadsheet application.

> http://www.danbricklin.com/history/refcard1.htm

Text values are documented as "Labels" and were not subject to
arithmetic operations. You could enter numeric labels with a preceeding
double-quote. Today this is a single quote.

According to

> http://www.excelfunctions.net/Excel-Sum-Function.html

text representations of numbers within ranges are ignored by Excel's SUM
function.

As Rob already pointed out, Excel does some fatal mistakes when it comes
to implicit string to number conversions in other contexts. The same
Excel document loaded into the same version of MS Excel may yields
different results on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean because different
language versions of Excel convert the same text values differently.

If you enter/paste/import numeric text values into your Calc document,
Calc behaves correctly and consistently. You may convert these values if
they are wrong (no, formatting doesn't change any values) and you can
explicitly convert these values by means of the VALUE function. But you
can not SUM up any text.

Cheers to all the pesky trolls kidding the dev mailing list with
childish rants about non-issues,

Andreas