On Jun 8, 2015 8:46 AM, "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
wrote:

> I've never understood this business of having multiple releases as
progressions on the same code branch.

> It seems far more confusing than having a branch or tag that corresponds
to the release identifier.

Actually before 4.1.1, we did use "tags" if memory serves. I just assumed
we could do this again for 4.1.2 unless there was some reason not to.

I also find the revision cut used for 4.1.1 confusing. In reality, we could
do a tag for it I think.

  It also helps if there is a need for a patch release at a particular
branch.

> It also makes check-out of a specific release branch easier.  And it is
easy to confirm the archive of the released source against its SVN.

> Although there is a lot of code involved, I thought SVN used a Copy on
Write strategy so copying code into a branch does not create actual copies
but links, with copies made only when a difference is introduced at either
end of the link.  Am I mistaken?

> I don't have much skin in this game.  It just strikes me that there is a
high risk of confusion and possible error this way.  Even if a 412 is built
from a copy of 411, rather than the trunk, with changes then cherry-picked
into it, it seems easier to inspect and to understand.