Phillip Rhodes wrote:
Forgive my level of ignorance here, but I haven't been a very active
participant to this point, so there's a lot I don't know.

Forgive my terseness, but I want to add as little as possible to today's traffic... but I appreciate this attitude a lot and just ask if you need more.

1. What is the main problem with the build system as it is?

It's ugly. I recall you once built OpenOffice, right? It is not the easy configure + make. Still, it works and the build system is not standing in the way for a release.

2. Do we need a whole new system, or just incremental improvements to
what we have?

In 4.2.0 we have merged significant improvements. What we have is enough for the time being.

3. Regarding Mac in particular, I'll repeat this question from an earlier
thread:  Does the ASF have Mac hardware for doing Mac builds, or are we
dependent solely on developer machines for that?

All OpenOffice releases have always been built on machines under control of individual developers.

5. Other than Mac builds, are any other platforms especially limited or
restricted in any way?

Our reference environments are described at http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/devtools/build-scripts/4.1.2/ ; the build system itself is not a huge obstacle. I concede that a newcomer will find it hard, but you mastered it, so you are one of the few who actually know whether it is too hard.

6. Do we still build for OS/2? :-)

We don't support it officially. Volunteers do it as a third-party port but they do contribute code to the project, so for example 4.1.2 saw a number of changes that were meant to make the OS/2 build possible.

Regards,
  Andrea.