Hello,

I don't understand the question because I don't understand where what you are
talking about is located.

Where is:
"I keep 'clicking' on "new folder" up at the top "left" ( the 'yellow' icon )"

Is this a dialogue? Which one? Is it something else? How do you get there?

What means:
"I wish to open and 'download' a brand new folder"

Is it meant synonymously? If so, what does it stand for?
Creating new folders is a function of the operating system, not of OpenOffice.
Nevertheless, you could mean something else with "folder", but what?

Jörg