Hello,

On Wed, Jan 06, 2021 at 07:03:19AM -0800, Don Lewis wrote:

> On  6 Jan, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >

> >> On Jan 6, 2021, at 9:19 AM, Arrigo Marchiori <ard...@yahoo.it.INVALID>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello All,
> >>

> >> - My own build of trunk on Linux can open the file.
> >>
> >> Do you think that this is worth more investigation before releasing
> >> 4.1.9?
> >>

> > AFAICT, it is not a regression (trunk and 4.1.x are very different)... So I
> > don't
> > think it should hold off 4.1.9-RC1 IMO
>
> Agreed.  Who knows how long this would take to understand, fix, and
> test.   In the meantime, there are a lot of Big Sur users waiting on
> 4.1.9.

In the hope it can be useful, please see here:
https://github.com/apache/openoffice/pull/116

Apparently, Linux crashes because certain stacks are pop()-ed without
ever being push()-ed before.

My personal theory is that Windows's standard library may add some
implicit checks, and for this reason Windows builds do not seem to
crash.

The PR addresses the ``symptoms'' of a wrong parsing. The parsing
itself should be fixed, but maybe this ``quick&dirty'' fix is ok for a
minor release, if it avoids a blatant crash?

I hope it can be useful. It applies to trunk and AOO419 so it should
be easily integrated ``at the last minute'' if we found it's worth it.

Best regards,
--
Arrigo

http://rigo.altervista.org