Hi Carl,

On 6/7/2022 12:07 AM, Carl Marcum wrote:
Hi Rony,

On 6/6/22 10:15 AM, Rony G. Flatscher (Apache) wrote:
Hi Carl,

On 6/4/2022 3:31 PM, Carl Marcum wrote:
... cut ...
Am 03.10.21 um 15:12 schrieb Rony G. Flatscher:
Searched on the Internet but found no pointers so asking here.

Problem: something goes wrong while registering a Java based extension (an oxt ), but no information
is supplied.

Question: how to get debug (logging) information from a Java based extension?
Maybe with a Java
stacktrace?

---rony

P.S.: Could find the cause in the oxt, but this was really quite time consuming
(and therefore
effortful). Some new Java code caused a Runtime exception such that the registering of the oxt could
not conclude; it would have helped a lot, if the Runtime exception was supplied
rather an empty
message was given (using unopkg from the commandline).

So the error is during unopkg and not when using the installed extension
correct?
Yes.
For runtime errors on Linux I start the office from the command line and you can println output to it from the extension.

Thank you very much for this hint!

Are you using the --verbose option when using unopkg from the command line?

Yes.

As mentioned in the other reply, one of my problems is that in order to quickly get (re-)adjusted to this infrastructure (being away because of other efforts for quite some time in between activities) I would need some short, functional examples (like a nutshell extension in Java with proper packaging to become able to experiment with both, the Java code and the packaging, hoping to develop a conceptual model by doing so). It may be the case that these samples exist, but that I have not found them. So any hint or link to such (Java) nutshell examples would be great as they probably help a lot getting afloat quickly.

It might be a larger example that what you're looking for but take a look at my openoffice-groovy project [1] that adds Apache Groovy as a macro language.
There is also an OXT on the extensions site [2].

Thank you very much, indeed!

As a matter of fact, like yourself I used the BeanShell example to add ooRexx as a macro extension. Nevertheless I will look into it (in the middle of July when things have settled down a little bit around here), as I might learn how to install the macros in share and user space (doing this "manually" currently).

[On the side: my premiere platform for this has been AOO, but because of the students I have been also trying to allow for using ooRexx as a macro language also for LO. It seems that LO has changed too much to allow that to be still the case, which is awkward. Short of time I am not able to pursue that, as the platform defining OO is AOO only.]

If you would rather have an basic stripped down extension example I can generate you one from my templates or guide you in setting up so you can generate your own addons and addins.

[1] https://github.com/cbmarcum/openoffice-groovy
[2] https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/groovy-scripting-openoffice

That is *very* kind of you and I would like to pick up your offer about samples that would show/demonstrate/guide to become able to create/generate also own addons and addins in ooRexx (this is something I have been thinking of for quite some time)!

Probably only a brief sample/pattern for an addon and an addin and what the relevant definitions would be terrific (especially what has to be taken into account for registering) and maybe where to find the relevant documentation!

Groovy and/or Java would be more than fine!

Best regards

---rony