At http://tools.openoffice.org/performance/index.html, there is a
mention about unused code removal as a way of improving OO.org.  Out of
curiosity, I managed to generate a list of about 85,000 symbols from
the program/ directory that have definitions but no corresponding UNDEF
entries in the shared libraries (this is excluding "external" code like
icu).

(I just realized that I need to include .bin files, too, so the 85,000
can probably be reduced somewhat)

The main problem with this, however, is that this is really a big
number of symbols to go through.  Are there any guidelines or
suggestions for how to find a starting point?  If this is workable and
I find something probably worth removing, is it best to simply nominate
that function for removal or is it better to submit a patch that strips
it out?

Matt