Christian Andersson wrote:

Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:

Write it all out to a log file... Remove the logging code when you are finished.

what if the problem is the instantiation of the class that does the writing? for example, I get an exception creating the class, trying to open the file to write to?

there is still quite valid reasons to be able to see what gets written out to stdout/stderr from java, not everything can be solved by "manually" logging stuff..

If I could have told java itself via some parameter that stdout/stderr should be redirected to a file, that would also work, since I can add parameters to how java will start inside openoffice. But from what I can see, that is not possible either.

--
Christian Andersson

I do not disagree with writing to either stdout or stderr, but when that is not possible, I was only providing a workaround that you can use now. I regularly do this with graphical apps during development... Even when I dump things to stdout, I frequently end up redirecting to a file anyway (assuming a lot of output is flying by).

--
Andrew Pitonyak
My Macro Document: http://www.pitonyak.org/AndrewMacro.sxw