Dear OO Base Devs,

I'm not much of a programmer yet, but I've been trying out the features of
Open Office Base.  I love the features that are available in the Form Design
Wizard.  However, when I add a field to an existing form, I wish that it
would automatically pick the same "3D look" and color as the existing fields
on the form.  I also wish that when the Form Design Wizard is told to use
field labels above the field, that it would adjust the label length to match
the length of the data field.  This means that when shrinking the length, I
won't have to be concerned as much about losing letters on the label.  And
other formatting issues will be easier to address.  It would also be very
nice to have property fields to set the relative label position and
style...besides being able to edit the label separately.

Also, it would be so nice if the properties that have to do with color and
style of the controls were available and easily settable in the same manner
as they are in the Form Design Wizard.  For example have a Combo Box for the
color of the field control that lists the color scheme names available in the
Form Design Wizard (e.g. Blue Ice).

By the way, the "grid" that is supposed to be visible when the form is in
"Design Mode" is not visible.  Maybe this is due to the fact that the
background color is "opaque".  However, my feeling is that the grid should
ignore the "opaqueness" of the background.

Maybe I'm way "off base" here, but I was wondering if the document format for
a Database Form is actually XML?  If so, then are you following an Open
Document Standard for Database Forms?  If the standard is "lacking" in some
respects, then have you published the specs on your XML standard for
Database Forms?  If not, why not?  You could really encourage OSS
developers by taking this route.  For example, GnuCash, arguably the best
accounting software ever developed, still lacks an integrated Form Designer
for things like customizing the Invoice and Purchase Order forms.  It would be
so nice to be able to integrate your form designer with GnuCash so that this
lack in GnuCash could be filled.

Thank you so much for all the work you have done already.  Sorry for my
seeming "impatience"...but I've been so upset for many years at the
incompetence displayed in MS Access (probably the least reliable...yet most
feature packed...and most frustrating database in history).  The ideas in
MS Access are right on target, especially the Relationship View Editor.
I wish that OO Base had an equivalent editor for relationships.  And I wish
that there was a way to edit the relative position of fields in an existing
table...and a way to insert fields where I want them...instead of being
forced to put the field at the end of the field list.

In my personal opinion, if OO Base soon has all of the improvements I have
mentioned in this EMail, it will be without question the best database
programming tool ever developed...putting MS Access to shame.

Again, thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Arthur Baldwin