Hi,

and thanks for the replies!

(BTW, should I post follow-ups to the dev forums, or
only to those who reply ??? )

--- Éric Bischoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Macros ?
> The advantage of an input method is that it
> works for the whole
> operating system

Actually one point for me to do this project is to
implement polytonics in a platform independent manner.
The thing that most teachers and students alike fret
over in the classical department in here is that
various methods exist in Mac, Win (and maybe even
Linux), but they are not interoperable (and to add to
the confusion Mac and some Win apps create the fonts
_themselves_ in an incompatiable - non-UTF - manner).
Since OpenOffice is (besides being far better and more
intuitive than MS Word, IMHO) virtually independent on
platforms, I thought that to create polytonic support
for it would solve the platform problem also.

Also, as Charles-H Chultz pointed out, modern and
ancient greek differ precisely in that there is no
need for polytonics in modern greek: there can be only
a _single_ diacritical mark per alphabet in the modern
version. I have not heard of such a project going on
in there; thanks for the heads-up however, I'll check
the situation again.

Also, the idea I had was to enable one to press e.g.
"a" + "<" + "'" + "|" to render an alfa with the
spiritus asper, grave accent and an iota subscriptum,
_not_ to create a simple UTF interface (e.g. an
interface to enter the UTF code to render the proper
diacticic alphabet). This would be _very_ tiresome
when writing long texts. I don't know if you had this
in mind, but can macros be used to create even the
kind of model I had in mind ??!

As I said, I have only a little knowledge of the
intricasies of OOo or programming it (and a bit
knowledge on C++), but I hope you can bear my noob
background with these questions.

Thank you again.

LEN.