On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 10:23:03AM +0000, Caolan McNamara wrote:
> Just some notes on the crash reporter and "outside Sun" builds
>
> The crash reporter is by default disabled from a configure build
>
> Even if it is explicitly enabled from configure, then in scp2 the
> ErrorReportServer profile value is unset unless the env variable
> BUILD_SPECIAL is set. So there are a few hoops to be jumped through
> if an outside developer want to enable the crash reporter.

I think the code still exists in sal/osl/unx/signal.c that would send the
backtrace to standard output, also quite recently I saw the backtrace files
in /tmp. Some earlier changes have disabled this code but not removed it. So
it should be a small change to catch the backtrace files?

> So there are a few reasons why the crash reporter is generally not
> available/installed on distro versions of OOo.  It'd be nice to somehow
> reconcile the basically StarOffice crash reporter with enabling
> distributions to get feedback from their own possible customized
> varients as well as sharing known root causes for shared bugs, but for
> the moment a crash reporter enabled build is the exception, and not the
> rule. User's don't have any control over this, so there's no point in QA
> asking users to "use the crash reporter" :-)

>From my partial understanding how this works, it would be a small change to
send the same crash report as an email to any required address?

By "small changes" I mean not much code required, not that I know how to do
it!

Jim