On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 15:33 -0400, Chris H wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to run a parallel build to see if I can cut down on build
> time a bit. My server is a Dual Xeon HT with 2 GB of ram. When I run
> dmake the CPU utilization is about 30%. When I run "dmake -P2" it stays
> the same. Is there something else I need to do to kick off a parallel
> build or am I doing it right? Does parallel building make a significant
> difference in build times?

I'd guess you did dmake -P2 in the top level directory ? The top level
makefile.mk only really calls "build.pl", try this

cd instsetoo_native/util
build --all -- -P2

that'll call "dmake -P2" every time dmake would normally be called,
additionally you can make build.pl attempt to build parallel modules at
the same time, e.g.

build --all -P2

or to go nuts, both together
build --all -P2 -- -P2

Finally,
export MAXPROCESS=2
is an alternative way to trigger dmakes to be -P2

so
build --all -- -P2
and
export MAXPROCESS=2
build --all

are the same.

parallel building is a sort of "your mileage may vary" kind of thing.
Sometimes inter-module dependencies for build's -PX need fixing, and
sometimes makefile.mk's for dmake's -PX need fixing, so I always build
parallel, but with a check for failure and restart unparallel on
trouble. That said, with OOC680_m2 I don't think there's any problems
with parallel dmake makefile.mks, and only one module interdependency
problem that I know of which your unlikely to hit.

C.