Hi Philipp,

>>There's a keyword "valgrind"
>>(http://www.openoffice.org/issues/describekeywords.cgi), which already
>>captures this information - IMO duplicating this information in the
>>summary is prone to errors, and should be avoided.
>
> Since leaving "Valgrind" out of the summary would leave titles like
> "ID:23" i strongly oppose simply leaving it.

The complete naming scheme isn't explained in the Wiki, so I didn't now
it's a mere ID then.

My objection is against using the summary to classify issues (and to me
it sounded / still sounds as if this is the main use of the "Valgrind"
in the summary), since this is error-prone. There are other means for
classifying issues, namely keywords.

> Since "Stacktrace ID:x"
> seems to work well for stacktraces,

Bad example, since stack traces are not submitted in IssueZilla, but in
the Sun-internal bug tracking system (to respect user privacy), and this
system doesn't know other means for issue classification.

> why not stay with "Valgrind ID:x"
> for the valgrind bugs ? What naming scheme would you propose instead ?

Do Valgrind bugs really have an ID? (I mean, except the issue ID)?
Aren't they defined by a test case, not by an ID?

I suggest having the "Error type" or "Error text" (which according to
the Wiki are in the issue description) as summary, since this better
describes what's going on than "Valgrind ID:x". We could enhance this
with the file name where the error occurs, or things like this.
Everything allows you to grasp an idea of the issue just from reading
the summary.

Ever read our Basic IssueZilla rules, including item 2 "Provide a
meaningful summary" (plus the reasoning)? If not: it's a recommended
reading :)
http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/basic_rules.html

Ciao
Frank

--
- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
- OpenOffice.org Database                   http://dba.openoffice.org -