Le Lundi 26 Juin 2006 21:33, Christian Lohmaier a écrit :
> ? The user doesn't have to bother. Either they use the packages provided
> by $distribution or they take the packages from vanilla OOo.
>
> And the packagers who are doing the packages for their distribution
> should know how to unpack something or how to compile from source.
>
> I absolutely do not get your point.

My point is : why make it unnatural and complicated when you can do it in the
normal, regular way? The normal, regular way is to package software that
installs with "make install".

Currently, if distributions want to do serious changes in OOo, they have to
learn the whole build mechanism, scp2 bits, etc, to finally build a package
that they will disassemble right away. Of course they can learn how to do
that, it's just unusual, since no other software than OOo goes that way.

I will stop discussing that here. After all, I am not a package maintainer
(anymore) so I am not representative enough to sustain this discussion.

> You can use linkoo to create an installation out of your build-dir.

I did not know that. So that would be equivalent to a "make install"? Where is
that documented?

> > I install my distribution, and all software works smoothly together.
>
> That is as getting all your software from Microsoft, one single
> "Distributor".

Okay, that piece of discussion is unrelated to main topic. It is even
completly off-topic ;-) but interesting, so let's continue with that.
Perharps in private if it bothers the others.

Yes, you are right. That's like getting all your software from Microsoft. But
there are a few differences that make a lot of importance (caution, troll
included):

1) In fact, many companies _do_ get all their software from Microsoft, putting
themselves in a state of strategic dependancy.

2) The software in your Linux distribution has not been written by the
distributor...

3) You have the choice of your distributor. There's real concurrence.

4) A Linux distribution contains almost all the software you might need, it's
seldom needed to look outside of your distro.

5) With Microsoft you cannot adapt the software to your needs. You have not
the source.

> Now try to apply this to linux distributions. Get a package for SuSE and
> try to install that on Redhat.

No one does that. Software is coherent within ONE distribution.

Listen, that's two different approaches. Why not just admit that it's
different philosophies, with both their advantages and drawbacks?

And, returning to main topic, why try to import into Linux a packaging
philosophy that is adapted to Windows?

--
Si on ne peut pas toujours compter sur ses amis, on peut toujours compter son
or.