From: Andrew Douglas Pitonyak [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 10:35 AM
To: dev@openoffice.org
Subject: Re: [dev] Bounty for performance improvements

Utomo wrote:
I am waiting and open for suggestions. Is there somebody can help me to determine how is the performance improvements measured ?

Utomo
I have a few comments:

Performance should be quantified and explained by the submitter. In other words, the submitter should indicate how to test and demonstrate a speed improvement.

Memory and runtime both sounds like improvements to me.

Broader impact should carry more weight. For example, a 100% improvement in sort speed is probably not as important as a 10% improvement in screen redraw time because the screen is almost always updated. By the same token, a 10% improvement in screen redraw may also beat a 20% improvement in macro run-time.

I would probably use imprecise statements as those, and then after some prioritizing, leave the final decision to public voting if it is not obvious as to the final winner, or simply decide up front, that public voting will be done.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
My Book: http://www.hentzenwerke.com/catalog/oome.htm