Niklas Nebel wrote:
Stephan Bergmann wrote:
In a first step, I will try to identify and gather as many places in OOo that need to be adapted, but I need your help for that: IF YOU KNOW OF ANY PLACE IN OOo THAT NEEDS TO BE ADAPTED, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Wouldn't that be more or less any occurence of sal_Unicode? There's hundreds of them in Calc alone.

That depends probably on the details. If for example you are searching for ansi1252 code characters in a unicode string (e.g. '/' for URL or filename parsing springs to mind), then you need not change that code since those codes do not coincide with the possible surrogate values. I guess many instances may fall into that category where searching for a known constant unicode is concerned.

However if we were to change the underlying format of OUString, then also these cases would possibly have to be adjusted; e.g. UTF-8 leaves only true ascii (<128) values as a single encoded character (one byte in that case).

However if i'm not mistaken, changing OUString from 2 byte values will not be possible since it would change UNO protocol incompatibly, yes ?

Just some thoughts, pl

--
If you give someone a program, you will frustrate them for a day;
if you teach them how to program, you will frustrate them for a lifetime.