On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 11:59 +0100, Thomas Lange - Sun Germany - ham02 -
Hamburg wrote:

> > 18 methods:
> > http://people.redhat.com/caolanm/callcatcher/m201.starmath.log
> > first entry is ConvertMathMLToMath(unsigned short)
> >
> > please report any false positives to me
>
> About Math:
> I don't mind most of the mentioned functions because they are not
> virtual and the compiler will tell you if sth is missing. ^_~
>
> But please do not remove the functions
>   ConvertMathMLToMath(unsigned short)
>   ConvertMathToMathType(unsigned short)
>   ConvertMathTypeToMath(unsigned short)
>   GetTokenChar(unsigned short, unsigned char)
> they are already part of a fix still to be implemented.
> If you want to get rid of them for the time being please only make them
> into comments.

Sure, I'm not sure if I'm going to fix all (any?) of these myself,
there's an awful lot of them across the various modules for one person
to do all of them. Clearly sc with 409 unused methods would be the first
place to start. (I previously did some callcatcher shrinkage to
binfilter and sw which is why their counts are not as high)

In case of continued interest I've also added
binfilter: 247 methods
http://people.redhat.com/caolanm/callcatcher/m201.binfilter.log
and
dbaccess: 99 methods
http://people.redhat.com/caolanm/callcatcher/m201.dbaccess.log

I probably should mention that the tool discards virtual methods on the
basis that determining if virtuals are unused is very tricky. So all the
listed methods are non-virtual.

The problem arises in determining if
a) some of the c-style symbols are used through e.g. dlopen-style stuff
b) if the other methods are, like in this case, a work in progress
c) or if the methods are used only under some platforms or debugging
flags, in which case rather than remove them they just need to be
protected with the same flags as the code in which they are invoked
from. Which is a bit time consuming to figure out.

C.