Matthias B. schrieb:

> I've done a --enable-dbgutils build because I thought it could aid in
> debugging the frequent OOo crashes we suffer from. I'm a little bit
> shocked (although on 2nd thought not really surprised) at the number
> of message boxes with failed assertions and other messages about
> conditions that are not supposed to happen. Is that expected or is
> that just because our application (we're making heavy use of UNO to
> construct documents from a Java program) is stressing OOo so much?
> Is anybody interested in these messages? E.g. the message below tells
> me "Please inform OD". Is OD really interested?
>
> Error: Assertion failed
> ==================
> FILE      :  /ooo/src/OOE680_m6/sw/source/core/layout/anchoredobject.cxx
> at line 738
> ERROR :  "<SwAnchoredObject::GetObjRectWithSpaces> - cache for object
> rectangle inclusive spaces marked as valid, but it couldn't be.
> Missing invalidation of cache. Please inform OD."
> Abort ? (Yes=abort / No=ignore / Cancel=core dump)

The problem with our assertions is that many of them are checking for
conditions that the code thinks shouldn't happen but that indeed can
happen at runtime if e.g. a strange document is used. Others point to
only minor problems or better should be seen as warnings, some indeed
reveal serious problems. The one you mentioned above looks like it could
belong to the last category. I CC'ed "od" as he requested to become
informed. :-)

Overall the assertion code in OOo needs some maintenance; some problems
and false assertions have been fixed meanwhile but theses fixes are
available only in the most recent builds on the SRC680 code line.

Anyway, if you come across an assertion you can treat it as a bug and
submit an issue.

Ciao,
Mathias

Please don't reply to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".