scheme that requires a scripted logic. I would like to impliment this
in Python, because I am familiar with it (but not with openoffice
scripting). I have found basic guides for the OOo python interface,

You may have seen the article in the recent "Linux Journal"
about using Python to interface with ODF ? Not sure if it goes
deep enough for your needs, but could be useful.

And the next article discusses manipulating SVG images, which is
related to the ODF graphics format.

Specifically for text, paragraph 9.2.17 of ODF

http://develop.opendocumentfellowship.org/spec/?page=9#9.2

shows how to include "text" (paragraph or list) in a graphical
element.

From

 http://www.linuxjournal.com/node?from=0

 <quote>
 As always, there's much more. We demystify ODF by using Python to access
 the innards, and show you how to create dynamic forms with Inkscape and XSLT.
 </quote>

HTH,

Peter