Hi Rüdiger,

Rüdiger Timm schrieb:

Jörg Jahnke wrote:
Hi Hennes,

Hennes Rohling schrieb:
But don't make everything mandatory. If I change a string in the setup or change platform dependend code for systemintegration I don't want to do a mandatory test that tests whether all dialogs in the Calc still work.

- Hennes

The problem with not having the tests mandatory is that this will lead to regressions being found only on the MWS where the tests are also run. There the cost for hunting down the root cause of the failed test is much higher than on the CWS.

But I agree that there are cases where a full set of regression test is not necessary. I am quite confident that the OOo developers are able to decide when they can make an exception.

That's exactly what I already stated on IRC. I'm fine with 'mandatory by policy', which lets room for common sense exceptions. But I'm afraid of getting 'mandatory by tooling', i.e. tests sending their results to EIS and an automatism preventing me from setting my CWS to 'ready for QA' without having such results. Please, please, do not ever implement such automatism! I f.e. sometimes have childworkspaces dedicated for CWS tooling only, where I not even create install sets. Others also have things which in no way effect an office (other tooling, build related stuff, ...). Those CWS nowadays typically get a QA rep. outside QA team and no performance tests or automated tests are run. We should keep the possibility of such shortcuts for special cases. By default do all required test. Only if you have good arguments and state them in EIS leave away really unnecessary things. Test what has to be tested, test it thoroughly, but do not waste time and resources.

Rüdiger

I absolutely agree.

Jörg