Hi Andreas,

On Friday, 2008-02-29 01:21:04 +0100, Andreas Saeger wrote:

> Using a German user interface of OOo 2.3.1 by Sun under Linux I can get
> a format string from German number format code
> =TEXT($A$1;"JJJJ-MM-TT")

In fact that is not related to the UI language of the program, but the
locale you're working with, which may get overridden in menu
Tools.Options.LanguageSettings.Languages or by the cell's number format.

> as well as from English number format code
> =TEXT($A$1;"YYYY-MM-DD")
>
> Both return the same ISO date-string of a number in A1.
> Can I take English format codes for granted with all locales?

Yes, for the TEXT function English date format codes do work with all
locales.

> Of course, the same can not work when decimal separators (comma vs. dot)
> come into play.

Well, it depends.. if you apply an English-US number format to the cell,
e.g. General, the locale is inherited by the TEXT function and all en-US
format codes should work. If the locale is something different or
unspecified, the outcome may be unpredictable and actually depends on
the very format code whether it matches already the locale or may fall
back to en-US.

The TEXT function and its counterpart VALUE best are not used when it
comes to cross-locale interoperability.

  Eike

--
 OOo/SO Calc core developer. Number formatter stricken i18n transpositionizer.
 SunSign   0x87F8D412 : 2F58 5236 DB02 F335 8304  7D6C 65C9 F9B5 87F8 D412