I've tried to document at
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/DefaultPaperSize where the
default paper sizes comes from under Linux. i.e. where VCL gets its
default paper size from, and from where applications pick the default
paper size for page styles.

Bottom line is that we seem to have two different mappings from locale
to paper size that cries out to me to be merged together as some
i18npool api.

Letter: en_US, en_CA, fr_CA, es_MX, es_VE according to
svx/source/items/paperinf.cxx
Letter: en_US, en_CA, fr_CA according to
psprint/source/printer/printerinfomanager.cxx

While GTK has:
Letter: en_US, en_CA, es_PR, es_US
according to
gtk/gtkpapersize.c