On 2008.10.30. 16:06, Eike Rathke wrote:
Hi Heiner,

On Wednesday, 2008-10-29 19:14:07 +0100, Heiner Rechtien wrote:

modifying a .cxx file on Windows, and committing it to SVN, followed by
a  "svn diff -r PREV <file>", shows me that *the complete* file changed
with the commit. Doing a "svn diff -r PREV -x --ignore-eol-style <file>"
shows me only the changes which I just did.
This makes me wonder, because so far, with CVS, we did not have that
problem. Even a Lf-only source when edited in MS-Dev did not change
line ends, AFAIK. What does cause this change?
We use a hacked CVS client inside the Hamburg environment. It kills any
CR in a non binary file no matter what.

Sigh.. so that MS-Dev editor appears to be still broken in this regard.

Shouldn't we set to svn:eol-style property to a reasonable value
("native", probably) for all our source files, globally?
Probably not, see my previous mail I sent just a minute ago.

Reading
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/de/svn.advanced.props.file-portability.html#svn.advanced.props.special.eol-style

| Note that Subversion will actually store the file in the repository
| using normalized LF EOL markers regardless of the operating system. This
| is basically transparent to the user, though.

the 'native' style may be a solution to this problem. I wish we could
tell SVN to do that always, not only with native style. I hope that
works also when committing a file on *ix that was checked out on
Windows. Still, the patch scenario mentioned in my previous mail
applies. May need some extra care to be taken when applying patches
received from Windows users on *ix platforms.

one could set pre-commit hook to sed all crlf to lf, but that still wouldn't help any with cross-platform patches.

  Eike
--
 Rich