Hi,

Clayton Cornell from documentat...@openoffice.org referred me to discuss a
point on this list.

You can already find some arguments in the thread >DevGuide Wiki< on
docume...@openoffice.org. Ariel Constenla-Haile mentioned in this thread,
that Juergen Schmidt already has some plans pertaining to this point.

So let me give a summary:

The DevGuide contains a lot of code to explain how to do things, but it almost
always limits the code shown to some excerpt, hence focussing on one
particular (and probably the most important) point.

At least as far as I am concerned I almost always wonder about how a
particular piece of code is used and I want to look at the class file as a
whole. Since it doesn't make sense to copy the whole source code into the
Wiki, a link into the source code repository would make sense and be great.
It would be cumbersome to always look things up in an IDE -- instead of just
clicking on a link.

A first idea was to use, e.g., a link of the form

http://svn.services.openoffice.org/opengrok/xref/Current%20
(trunk)/odk/examples/DevelopersGuide/FirstSteps/FirstUnoContact.java

to refer to the class FirstUnoContact.java.

As Ariel mentioned (in the thread quoted above) Juergen seems to have an idea
about a more far-reaching structural change of the DevGuide Wiki concerning
the discussion of the SDK examples.

Since I am currently reading a larger part of the DevGuide and having a closer
look at the SDK examples, I could readily apply some changes to the Wiki.
But, on the face of it, I should only do it after the desired outcome has
been clearly specified by the community.

I am looking forward to any suggestion.

-Karl