On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 16:34 +0200, Kay Ramme - Sun Germany - Hamburg
wrote:
> > The above sounds a little like the current single hierarchical build
> > tree with a single toplevel configure script but with a bunch of
> > --enable-prebuild-vcl --enable-prebuild-i18npool etc
> > options and an understandable requirement for a build-helper at that
> > stage (assuming we're talking about per module of per module-bundle
> > pre-build/solvers)
> More or less, yes. The advantage being the you may build only what you
> need, so it is not only "--enable-prebuild-writer", but also
> "--disable-writer" ...

I personally wouldn't be too much a fan of that. Its not really what I'd
like to use, but more akin to the linux kernel configuration system
where everything still lives in one tarball. I'd much prefer to be able
to download/checkout (like libICE in modular X) just the vcl source,
unpack it, run configure inside it and make it. Installing and building
(or downloading the binaries of) if necessary ure.tar.gz, etc.
beforehand, rather than effectively downloading/checking out the full
openoffice.org.tar.gz and then using ./configure --with-prebuild-ure
--disable-all-except-vcl.

Hammering OOo closer to emulating the "typical" project model like
gnome/modulear X would be nice for a good few reasons, mostly that all
our distro mechanisms are effectively designed around the standalone
tarball that configure and build against pre-installed dependencies ;-)

C.