Hi Rene,

please see my comments inline,

Rene Engelhard wrote:
> Jens-Heiner Rechtien wrote:
>> Scalability:
>> ============
>> - overall perceived good performance, some were even quite enthusiastic
>>    about it (SVN users are easy to please ...).
>> - there were three mentions of sub-par performance which all
>>    have been investigated shortly:
>>    - unexpected slow clone times on a very old machine with slow
>>      disks and little memory: this machine was probably simply
>>      underpowered for use with Mercurial, which is somewhat memory
>>      intensive due to the implementation in python. Also there was
>>      a misunderstanding about when hg uses hard links as an
>>      optimization.
>
> If that was true, please tell me why it also was  that slow
> on my MacBook 2Ghz, 1GB RAM with (quite) fast disk, not an old
> like my Mac mini G4 with 512M RAM? But I told you that at that time, too
>
>>    - unexpected slow update of the working tree: caused by using the
>>      pure python replacements instead of the hg native shared libs. This
>>      should be avoided by any project of the size of OOo.
>
> You didn't read what I wrote. How please is
> http://packages.debian.org/lenny/mercurial not using native libs?
> (See the libc6 dependency and the .sos).

You shouldn't think that only you have problems here and there :-) This
bullet point was about an observation by Mikhail, and we think we have
tracked it down to this problem.

>> Conclusion:
>> ===========
>> The purpose of the pilot was to find out if there are any important
>> aspects which render Mercurial unusable as SCM for OOo. We found that
>> there are none. This doesn't mean that Mercurial couldn't use some
>
> Not difficult if you ignore problems ;-(

I certainly do not ignore problems. I may come to different conclusions
at that time, but I do not ignore them. I even blogged about it at that
time.

Heiner

--
Jens-Heiner Rechtien