Hi Stephan,
> (And having three ways to request something
> would be worse than having two ways, which already is worse than having
> only one way. So while we are at it, if you stick with an environment
> variable, what good is it to additionally have the dmake switch?)

Consistency, for one. See debug/DEBUG, nodebug/NODEBUG, depend/DEPEND,
optimize/OPTIMIZE, dbglevel/DBGLEVEL, product/PRODUCT, ... (more in
settings.mk).

Then, if you really need that output for a given directory, you're
certainly quicker with "dmake verbose=true" than with "export
VERBOSE=TRUE ; dmake ; export VERBOSE=".

Ciao
Frank

--
- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         frank.schoenh...@sun.com -