On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:32:21 +0100
"Frank Schoenheit, Sun Microsystems Germany" <frank.schoenh...@sun.com>
wrote:

> At least we'd need a makefile-clause for setting a default, /me
> thinks.
>
> For instance, for libs exporting the usual three UNO entry points
> component_*, I would like to have a "make everything private"
> directive, plus a PUBLIC statement for the three functions.
The default would be "everything private".

> For other libs, which mainly provide tools for client code, a "make
> everything public" directive would be useful.
These tools libs fall in two categories:
- either they are small helper libs, in which case it is not much
  effort to make every PUBLIC explicit in the source.
- or it is one of the bigger framework libraries, in which case you
  would want to only export what is absolutely needed -> default:
  everything private.

> Which means that you'd still need 2 of the 3 mechanisms, and the only
> thing you could spare are the map files. Not sure this would be worth
> the effort.
I do not think that we still have that many libs that are not
explicitly marked PRIVATE/PUBLIC on the function. So it would be only
about those few "renegade libs" that do not follow the convention.

A very important sideeffect would be that the visibility of a function
can be seen directly in the source, not by:
- the source
- the mapfile
- the makefile
- ....

That would be a huge improvement in readability.

Best Regards,

Bjoern

 Sitz der Gesellschaft:
 Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028