Hi Ivan,

On Saturday 24 April 2010, Ivan M wrote:

> The area in question is found in a bunch of zip files in OOo's
> /Basis/share/config folder. These are the toolbar icon sets that are
> bundled with OOo, and there are 6 of them (galaxy, high contrast,
> industrial, tango, crystal and classic). I have written a discussion
> about how OOo could be smarter with these icon sets and save space [1].

Thank you for looking at this!

> In summary, what it comes down to is:
>
> 1) Get rid of old icon sets. Industrial and Classic are two good candidates
> IMO.
>
> 2) Run PNGOUT [2] on all icon sets to reduce the size of each PNG file.
> Small reductions across many files add up substantially.

IIRC, Andrew C. Dent already did something like this with the icons that are
in the repository [though these things tend to bitrot over time, as new icons
are introduced etc.].  Have you tried yourself, if you gain anything, please?

> 3) Reduce the duplication of images in each icon set. The high contrast
> icons also appear to be duplicated in the Galaxy icon set - does anyone
> know why?

The hicontrast theme is for people with sight disabilities.  Unfortunately,
before the introduction of the icon theming, OOo had many places with
hardcoded code paths that used code like 'if ( darkTheme ) useHicontrast();
else useNormal();'  That hasn't been cleaned up, even though with the concept
of the icon switching, it would be much easier to just generally switch the
theme, and be done with that.

If you are a programmer & would be interested to help, I'll be happy to show
you the pieces that need the cleanup.

> 4) Increase/decrease the compression of each icon set depending on the
> performance impact (i.e., we can reduce compression if it will make
> OOo load faster, or we can increase it if the extra memory use is
> inconsequential).

There are some tricks already used, like ordering the icons according to their
use in the .zip IIRC.

Regards,
Kendy