On 14.06.2010 12:01, Caolán McNamara wrote:
On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 11:22 +0200, Michael Stahl wrote:
the SvArrays should be replaced by appropriate STL types (mostly vector, i
guess, but probably in some cases stacks or deques or something else).

deques I think was the best option in general the last time I looked at
this. Probably best to ignore the binfilter ones and leave those still
using a migrated-into-binfilter svarray family.

I thought I had a patch somewhere to do some of the conversion, but I
can't find it now. I remember that I didn't go ahead with it at the time
because my first cut at it left OOo larger than it was before hand,
which was an annoying result.

A code replacement like this creates the question what shall be the goal:

- reduce memory footprint
- improve performance
- remove code duplication
- improve code quality

etc.

IMHO in case of the move from SvPointerArray to STL containers the predominat factors will be the "soft" ones, not the "hard" ones that are easy to measure. Even without memory footprint and performance improvements in the first place a change like this has its merits. Though it also has its price (the working time to invest), what might explain why nobody started that effort.

Regards,
Mathias

Please don't reply to "nospamfor...@gmx.de".