Hi Li Heng,

this is indeed good news. I'm sure, that will make OOo even more successful, especially in the Chinese market, of course. :-)

Best regards,
Peter

LiHeng wrote:
Hi ALL,

    UOF is a Chinese document format developed by Chinese
government and all elements of UOF with Chinese tag-name and it is
updated frequently in current period, a lots of new feature would be add
into this standard. To launch a separate project of UOF may focus on
special features of China and Chinese market, and all of office software
provider who based on OpenOffice.org in China can maintain only one
project of UOF interoperability for OpenOffice.org, and we can get the
best interoperability of UOF in China.
    *There are 2 products, RedOffice&   CS2C, based OpenOffice.org
have supported UOF format.
    *And IBM Symphony has supported UOF too.
    *Several universities are also focus on UOF, OOXML and ODF
converters.

Proposal of UOF Interoperability Project
Summary
    UOF is a Chinese developed open standard for 'office'
applications. It includes word processing, presentation, and spreadsheet
modules, and is made up of GUI, API, and format specifications. The
document format described uses XML contained in a compressed file
container.  This project improve the interoperability of UOF, include
all features, GUI and API and solve the problems in Chinese office
application system.
    UOF is not in same structure of ODF, some features(such as
Media Object and Conditional format of Spreadsheet ) can not transform
well only with XSLT, so we need to develop a set of extensions to
transform them into a friendly structure first. For UOF API we must bind
a bundle of interfaces and services on OpenOffice.org in order to
OpenOffice.org can be integrated into office system with UOF API.
The mission of this project is improving the interoperability of
UOF.We're going in for transforming the format between UOF and ODF with
XSLT.There's an UOF filter including an extension to solve some
very important problems with Calc and OLE.

Scope
1.To develop and maintain the filters for every UOF version. Include
XSLT template and a set extensions.
2.To develop and maintain all IDL and services of  UOF APIs
3.To Implement the Chinese special features of UOF in OpenOffice.org
4.To collect the suggestions on UOF from community and participate in
editing of UOF

    We will open all XSLT and filter(now as a extension) source
code we have done. And to work on new version of UOF with all contributors.
    Now we are working on transforming the format between UOF2.0
and ODF with XSLT stylesheet, and the new features about media object.
    UOF2.0 is multiple documents construction and will be a kind of
compression format. Each document is a XML file using  Chinese tags.  We
should convert all documents into a FlatXML which could present all tags
of different documents,and then convert the FlatXML file into ODF with
XSLT stylesheet. And in the other conversion direction ,firstly,ODF will
be converted into multiple documents with XSLT stylesheet,and then the
multiple documents will be packed into UOF2.0 format.

Best regards!