On 09/03/2011 03:43, tora - Takamichi Akiyama wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> On 8 March 2011 15:11, tora - Takamichi Akiyama <t...@openoffice.org
>> <mailto:t...@openoffice.org>> wrote:
>>>     cd $SRC_ROOT
>>>     dmake
>  >>     and wait for a minutes, not hours.
>
> On 2011/03/09 4:07, Knut Olav Bøhmer wrote:
>> Which worked for me :)
>> Well, I'm doing this on a virtual macine it took about 30 minutes. I don't
>> know why it's so slow.
>
> Oh, sorry! I meant that wait for minutes until building instsetoo_native
> starts.
>
> Taking about 30 minutes to build both your language and English versions of
> OOo is probably normal.

well, normal if you build on windows, which seems to have a hamster in a
wheel where real OSes have a highly optimized file system implementation;
unfortunately the hamster easily gets tired  ;)

> Some tips:
>   - Disable unnecessary background services.
>     Search for windows vista disable services like that.

*especially* true for virus scanners and the like.
if you use one, try to create an exception for your OOo tree so it won't
slow your builds too much.

>   - Monitor the CPU usage.
>     It should keep at the level of almost 100% during building OOo.
>     If not, look into the bottleneck.

this is true for a build from scratch, but if you have already built
almost everything then your CPU won't be busy, it's all IO.

>   - Utilize a Solid-State Drive (SSD) and put virtual machines on it.
>
>   - and more...

lots of RAM helps...

also we're hoping that once everything is migrated to the gbuild system,
the rebuild with a single make process will be a bit faster.

--
"Television?  The word is half Greek and half Latin.
 No good will come of this device." -- Charles Prestwich Scott, 1936.