On 06.06.2011 18:57, tora - Takamichi Akiyama wrote:
On 2011/06/07 0:27, Michael Stahl wrote:
 > refactoring OUString has to be done carefully because it is a central
part
 > of the URE API/ABI and those must be compatible.
 >
 > a number of people here have come to the conclusion that it would be an
 > improvement to use ::rtl::OString with UTF8 encoding as the standard
 > string type, but unfortunately this would be an enormous effort to
change,
 > and it would mean breaking the backward compatibility of the C++ UNO
 > binding, so it was never likely to actually happen.
 >
 > so far we haven't even got rid of the tools strings... sigh.

I see.

This is just an idea. How about adding a new class besides OUString?
We already have enough string classes. :-)

Besides that, you are right, rtl::OUString is stupid. We planned to discuss its replacement in the context of a future OOo 4.0 release, allowing for some incompatibility here. If done properly, the changes would require only recompilation of in-process C++ code.

But as you know, we are faced with a completely new situation for the OOo future. So we should postpone discussing this topic until the dust has settled.

Regards,
Mathias

OpenOffice.org Engineering at Oracle: http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS
Please don't reply to "nospamfor...@gmx.de".