<mailto:shashan...@iitrpr.ac.in>> wrote:

>     hello,
>     I am a undergraduate student of third year (INDIAN INSTITTE OF
TECHNOLOGY-IIT) and wants to develop new functionality in open office.before
trying on the features of to do list , i want to add small functionality.However i
am not clear how to start and how to proceed further.Also i started reading
developers guide and it was not much clear to me
>     Can u please provide me with some guidance and help on how to *start from
scratch

Extension is deep and big enough like the ocean...

1. Tool - Macros - Organize Macros - OpenOffice.org Basic
2. [Organizer...]
3. "Libraries" tab
4. [New...]
5. Name it e.g. "Libaray1," [OK]
6. [Edit]
7. Paste a sample code. e.g.

Sub Main
        sURL = "private:factory/scalc"
        oDoc = StarDesktop.loadComponentFromURL( sURL, "_blank", 0, Array())
        oCell = oDoc.getSheets().getByIndex(0).getCellByPosition(0,0)
        oCell.setValue(123)
        print oCell.dbg_methods
        print oCell.dbg_properties
End Sub

8. "Run BASIC" on the tool bar
9. "Save BASIC" on the tool bar
10. "Select Module" on the tool bar
11. "Libraries" tab
12. Choose the one named on the step 5.
13. [Export...]
14. "Export as extension" [OK]
15. Name it, [Save]

Now you have the first your own extension whose file name extension is ".oxt"
It is actually a ZIP archive file.

16. Rename "xxx.oxt" to "xxx.oxt.zip"
17. Extract the zip file and look into several internal files.

In addition to the developer's guide:
http://www.oooforum.org/
http://api.openoffice.org/docs/common/ref/com/sun/star/frame/XComponentLoader.html#loadComponentFromURL

You have an opportunity to find how to add a menu item and an icon
button on the tool bar. How to control your OpenOffice.org. ...

The forum would help you a lot rather than this mailing list.
This ML is intended for development of OpenOffice.org itself, i think :-)

Have fun!
Tora