Frederik Ramm wrote:

>> Closer inspection reveals that this is a tag value that has been
>> truncated at character #255, which happens to be in the MIDST of an
>> UTF-8 sequence. Ouch! Who truncates tags to 255 characters?
>
> It's a bit embarassing to keep talking to myself here but in case
> anyone
> else is interested:
>
> The culprit is way #26604650 which was newly created with Potlatch
> 0.10b, apparently with the tag value being truncated in the middle
> of an
> UTF-8 sequence

Well, the relevant bit of the migration is

     create_table "current_way_tags", myisam_table do |t|
       t.column "id", :bigint, :limit => 64
       t.column "k",  :string,                :default => "", :null
=> false
       t.column "v",  :string,                :default => "", :null
=> false
     end

and a :string means a MySQL 255-character VARCHAR (http://
www.orthogonalthought.com/blog/index.php/2007/06/mysql-and-ruby-on-
rails-datatypes/)... so yes, that'll be why it's happening.

So I guess the solution is either for Osmosis to conform to Postel's
Law; or to change the datatype (presumably breaks indexing?); or for
Potlatch/amf_controller, which don't currently have any limit on key/
value lengths (well, 64k :) ), to preprocess keys/values by
truncating at the nearest UTF-8 boundary before 255 bytes.
Suggestions welcome as to how this should be done.

cheers
Richard