Hi,

I just copied over some icons from mappaint to the "presets" directory
yesterday. I mainly did this as I need icons with a transparent background
for menus (at least those look much better IMO), while mappaint icons need a
background colour, due to the (customizable) default black background in the
JOSM viewport.

OSM2Go[1], an OSM editor for the Nokia N810, meanwhile has adopted the JOSM
presets file format. It expects all preset icons in the folder "presets". If
anyone is working on the presets, I'd like to ask to keep the icons in this
directory as well, just to avoid duplicated efforts.

I know the current icon handling is more than suboptimal. In the optimum case,
we maintained SVG icons only and derived the various bitmap icons for presets
and mappaint automatically during build time. Until then, we have to cope
with the current limitations.

Best regards,

ce

[1] http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/osm2go/