Chris Browet wrote:
> For Merkaartor, I also implemented a Binary file format (see
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osb_spec_v2)

I read it and has some valid points :) UTF16 handling is not yet my
thing. I presume I could also implement this in my Planet extractor. Or
do you already have a simple generator for this?

> There is nowadays no provision fur updates/diff, although the
> region-based paradigm allows specific updates.

Jup; I see where you come from, and I guess this always requires
compromises:

- Empty space in the document (easy for compression)
- Allow 'stackable' documents if this is all implemented per tile, it
shouldn't be any problem; just ask the server to give all diffs from
time X to Now.
- Use separate files for strings and indices.

I would like the combination of solution 2 and 3 the most.

Stefan