On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  There was a reason behind it though.  With the old queue based approach
>> sometimes there was no way to get the tasks connected properly without using
>> named pipes.  With the stack based approach I think it's always possible to
>> connect tasks without using named pipes.
>>

> It seems you're right. With the stack approach, anything is possible ;-)
> any plans to drop named pipes then?
>
> Bye
> Frederik

Why drop them? They're optional, they work, they make connecting some tasks
unambiguous and some people undoubtedly use them in scripts. I don't think
they're a maintenance headache (they're contained to a small portion of the
code, and their presence is transparent to the code for individual pipeline
tasks), so no reason not to keep them, right?

Karl