A Morris wrote:
> That doesn't sound very private to me... It seems to me it would be
> very easy to join the dots from, say, someone's house and see where
> they go to. Especially if I could download the "public" traces
> separately, and subtract these from the area download, leaving just
> the private traces...

And who, exactly, is going to go to all that trouble just to find out
where you live? The authorities have far easier ways of keeping tabs on
you. Burglars don't pick their targets based on GPX traces in OSM.
Door-to-door salesmen tend to work, well, door-to-door.

If you like, you can look at my public traces and work out where I live.
It's very easy, since I haven't sanitised them at all. Or you could just
look me up in the phone book, which might be a little less taxing.

> Frankly this sounds like a disastrous security hole.

It sounds like you're slightly paranoid.
--
Jonathan (Jonobennett)