On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 12:23:04 +0200, Michael Willigens
<mich...@willigens.de> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> i have thought about that last night,
> Its sounds a bit odd but it would be possible to use an LDAP server
> for GeoNaming lookups. We could create a canonical, hirachical scheme
> and fill in any named Objects. Correctly implemented LDAP is several
> times faster than MySQL in naming lookups and supports also wildcard
> queries. We could even split up the request by using a well known has
> funstion among severla LDAP servers.
> An Example scheme "could" depend on places and large polygon border
> structures like:
> Earth - > Continent -> Country -> State -> Region -> City -> ...
> We could fill on Bogus placeholders for canonicals that are not
> defined. (i.e. Countries without any States like Liechtenstein)
>
> what dou you think about that ?

I dou ;) think that placeholders would not be required
if using ObjectClass Planet, Continent, Country, State,...
Thus:

p=Earth,c=Lichtenstein,city=Au,district=Haslach,Street=Haslachstrasse,housenr=2
(no State here, other cities may have no district)

Marcus